Sunday, October 17, 2010

First year of College - Fundamentals of Design

Sorry it's been a while since my last post; I've been severely lacking in both time and motivation for anything other than school and work. Now that I've had a chance to catch my breath, I'm going to take the opportunity to continue adding some of my artwork. These next few drawings are from my first-ever art class in college, Fundamentals of Design.

This first set of drawings are all part of the same overall project, which explored four basic aspects of design.
My first project. We were supposed to create a design using ink that showed line and shape.

Second drawing. We needed to create a design that showed that we understood what lines were. Like I said before, it was a fundamentals class.

Third drawing. Our third project was to use value to simulate distance.


Fourth drawing. This design needed to show repetition. I decided to make something that looked similar to dragon scales, because I'm a dork like that.



Fifth drawing. The final of this set of projects, we needed to create a design that  incorporated all of the elements that we had used in the previous four designs.

The next few pictures depict our second project, which consisted of using colored paper to make designs.
First design - The first design that we created during this project was relatively simple. We were given a 4"x4" or 5"x5" square of black paper, and we were supposed to create something (using all the pieces) that did not look like it came from a square.


Second design - Unlike our first design, our second one needed to look like it came from a square piece of paper.


Third design - Our third design was to consist of 5 unique shapes that combined to create a single picture.



Fourth design - Same as the third, only using white paper on black.



After we finished this project, we began drawing with perspective. Unfortunately, I did not receive these drawings back from my professor before he left for his new job (an oversight for which I am still mentally kicking myself), and I only thought to take a picture of the final project. 

Diamond in the Rough - This was my final project in Fundamentals of Design, and it remains on of my favorite drawings. It took me close to 36 total hours to complete, but it was worth it.

That's all for now! I promise the next update will be sooner! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment